Dec 25, 2008

Men I may not know, but shoes, shoes I know...




There is two things I hate about shopping and malls in general: Window shopping and shopping for others. . . on a deadline. . . and a budget. I will never be able to understand what people find so amusing about window shopping. What good can come out of that? How could you possibly be fine looking at so many pretty things and not being able to buy them? The second thing I hate maaaaay be my fault for doing my Christmas shopping last minute.

Well, it's after 2am on Christmas day and I'm blogging. It's very obvious my Christmas didn't go well huh? It actually went to the dogs. . .but that's another story for another time. I realized something last night at the mall. I may not know much about guys, they are still very strange, complex creatures and yet they can be the simplest of them all. You always learn something new and there's always one that will make you go: "Well, I did not know that" or "Well, that was different." Thus, there's always a surprise. However, I have lost that when it comes to shoes. I realized last night, much to my chagrin, that while I still don't know much about men, I know a lot about shoes. . . maybe too much.



I went to different shoe stores and I could not find anything that remotely grabbed my attention. Every shoe was like "been there, done that." There's nothing exciting anymore, everything looks the same. The thrill of the hunt is over, the exhilaration has passed. All the shoes look alike and the stimulation of a 5 inch heel is gone. All the stores have the same shoes, with the same print and the same fabric. I want different, I want crazy, I want out-of-the-ordinary! Now, this is going to sound shallow and predictable and you'll think I'm a label whore, but I really think the only place to find that is at a Christian Louboutin or Jimmy Choo boutique, and it completely makes sense. There are shoes that are meant for mass production, such is the case with shoes sold at malls, those are shoes produced with a mass market sales target in mind. And there are shoes that are a hybrid of haute couture and mass market. Although they are not customized for customers, there is a great deal of importance in the choice and cut of the fabric. Those shoes are not produced in mass quantities but in small quantities to guarantee exclusivity. Those are not the kind of shoes your average secretary or teacher will wear to their workplace. They are also the kind of shoes that will leave you broke.



So I shall end this blog with a big sigh and some homework. Next time you go to the mall, look very closely at shoes sold there. Tell me if you haven't seen it all before.

No comments:

Post a Comment